Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Return to Hilton Head...



Once upon a time there was a Princess who decided, oh let's say around 1994 or so, that she needed to leave the comfort of her home town and embark upon a new land.  A land filled with new people, new sights and sounds and new adventures!  So, she packed up and left for this new land.  Where did she go?  Hilton Head, South Carolina:)


Yea - ok so it didn't go exactly like that.  It went more like this...I had a friend who moved to Hilton Head, I went to see her and decided this place is pretty cool!  Got home, found a job in Hilton Head and packed up and left.  Not quite as story-book, but oh my time in Hilton Head had many a story. *as she looks every so innocently into the heavens* Stories, that should probably forever remain in the "vault".  :)


So, as luck would have it - I had a friend that wanted to sell a week of her timeshare, I bought it and ended up in Hilton Head.  I knew it would be quiet this time of year - cold even.  But oddly enough, that sounded heavenly to me.  So off I went!

I stayed at the Marriott Grande Ocean which I HIGHLY recommend. It was a fabulous property and the villas were huge!  This property had several pools, nice courtyards and a great piece of real estate on the beach.  Although there were other guests staying at the property, you certainly wouldn't know it.  It was so quiet - something I desperately needed.


My favorite ATL gal-pal accompanied me for the first two nights while I was there and like always, we had a great time.  Now to us, a great time doesn't mean two days packed full of activities.  It means jammies, sleeping late, coffee, maybe a little shopping and for this trip one purpose....one activity that was a must.  Lady and Sons in Savannah:)  Now, said friend is quite the wimp when it comes to cold weather so she wasn't for exploring much of anything on the island -- so our Saturday started with a 10-minute trip to the beach primarily so we could say that we saw the beach.  Then a few turns around the shopping area and then off to Savannah to experience Paula Dean.


We were both expecting Lady and Sons to be packed and had prepared ourselves for a good wait.  But the January vacation gods were smiling down on us and we walked right in!  Interesting place Lady and Sons.  It has three floors and for lunch it's a buffet.  Now, this princess generally doesn't do buffets but I thought I would give a pass to Paula Dean:)  The lunch menu is pretty limited....you can get the buffet or 2 other entrees.  That's it - which I found interesting.  I ended up with the buffet and it was pretty darn good.  Especially if you're in the mood for home cooking.  Definitely worth a go - especially if you don't have to wait in a line!  :)  I know, I know, I know.....I'm spoiled and probably a little lazy - but I hate waiting in lines!

So, cut to Sunday - I'm dropping my friend off at the Savannah airport and decide I need to take a trip to Beaufort.  I managed a drug store here for a while too, plus I figured heck.....maybe just maybe I'd get a glimpse of a few thousand Marines at Parris Island:)  Actually, Beaufort is a great little town - perfect for leisurely walking around just for the heck of it.


As for my culinary adventures while in Hilton Head, I ventured out a few times, cooked in a few times - but really kept it pretty simple.  The quiche (as mentioned in an earlier post) and then one of my favorite finds a restaurant called "A Lowcountry Backyard".  It was a really cute place which brought a little bit of Charleston to Hilton Head.  Charleston of course being my favorite Southern city:)


I had Lowcountry's shrimp and grits (because you KNOW how I love my shrimp and grits) and their fried green tomatoes.  Of the two - gotta say that the friend green tomatoes were my favorite.  The shrimp and grits were good - but they were in a white gravy and I prefer the other...the red/brown gravy.  But definitely still good:)


All in all a great trip.  Some may not find going to the beach in January at the top of their list, but if you're looking for quiet and relaxing and don't mind it being a little chilly, it's worth a go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment